Friday, October 31, 2008

She Would Have Dined Here After

On a night quite unenchanting, when the rain was downward slanting,
And my husband's gentle ranting became too loud to be ignored,
Tipsy and a bit unshaven, in a tone I found quite craven,
He was talking to a Raven perched above the bedroom door.
Pangs of hunger did entreat me to leave my bed and search the floor
Found my socks, nothing more


Clumsy on the rug I treaded, cursing softly as I headed
Into the rainy night I dreaded, to a place I've been before.
While hubby and the Raven chattered, I was searching through the skattered
Lights to find the one that mattered, my beloved late-night store.
“Wendy's” with its menu full of tasty treats galore.
Burgers, fries and so much more


Through the drive-thru in a flash, a little time and not much cash;
Finished up my midnight dash, in time to hear the Raven speaking:
“Nevermore”


My husband, with a drunken snicker, charming when he's had his liquor,
Leaped into bed just one step quicker, hoping to get some sweet amour.
But barely had we begun to play when, slumped and limp, he began to snore.
Only that and nothing more.


Tummy full of “Wendy's” treasure, wide awake and craving pleasure
Bored, frustrated beyond measure, I saw the Raven on the floor.
Ugly bird, but I took pity, warned him “Watch out for the kitty.”
And together we watched “Spin City”, (Michael J. I do adore)
Until our cat, Dandelion, awoke and chased him through the door.
We found his feathers, nothing more.

No comments: